Haineck Castle Ruin
Around 1392, Landgrave Balthasar secured the northwest border of his Thuringian county with the Haineck Castle. Later, the Castle served as protection against plundering soldiers of the Thirty Years’ War.
In the east, Nazza is overtopped by a medieval castle ruin. The two towers and the massive walls attest the strategic importance of the complex. After an eventful history, the castle has dilapidated since the 17th century. It was secured by the Heimat- und Verkehrsverein Mihla (association devoted to the maintenance of local traditions and to the promotion of tourism). In the meantime, the 18 meter high South Tower has been converted into a lookout tower. Located in a beautiful landscape, the Haineck Castle Ruin is a worthwhile destination for excursions with a fantastic view of the Hainich National Park.