The Ulan Monument in Bad Langensalza
One of the city’s popular photo motives is the “Naked Rider” at the Augustinerplatz, directly in front of the City Museum. The Ulan Monument was erected here in 1925 for the fallen soldiers of the Thuringian Ulan Regiment No. 6.
The Ulan Monument – briefly called the “Naked Rider” in the vernacular – was completely manufactured from domestic travertine by the Berlin sculptor Heinrich Schwindsackl. The cavalry regiment was stationed from 1851 to 1894 with the 3rd and 4th squadron in Bad Langensalza. The rider’s branch was unclear and therefore, to the amazement of the population, he was presented naked. The head side of the base is decorated with a commemorative plaque above which the tortuous letters C and R with a IX and a royal crown can be seen.
99947 Bad Langensalza